As a responsible pet owner, you should know what you’re doing regarding your dog’s diet. It is crucial that you check what you feed your dog, just as you would with your own diet. Many health issues can be brought on by eating an unhealthy and unbalanced diet.

Reasons Why Giving Your Dog Cooked Bones Are Dangerous

It’s an old belief that dogs enjoy having bones to chew on. Yet, most veterinarians advise dog owners that this age-old practice can be harmful at worst. Bones become more brittle after cooking, which increases the risk your dog will suffer an internal injury from chewing on them.

Bones lose some of their nutritional value when cooked, too. While giving your dog a cooked bone to chew on may temporarily make them happy, it comes with some potential dangers.

They Can Get Choke

There is a risk of esophageal obstruction if bone fragments are swallowed. It can pierce the esophagus and other soft tissues in the back of the throat. Your dog may have difficulty breathing if a bone fragment lodges in its trachea (windpipe). Do note that coughing or choking is a medical emergency.

If it is choking on a bone, immediately take your pet to a Friendly Animal Clinic.

It Gets Stuck in the Stomach

Although fully digested, the bone may be too large to move on from the stomach and into the intestines. Your dog may require surgery or an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, depending on the size of the bone. In order to try and extract the trapped bone from the stomach, your vet will use a long tube fitted with a camera and gripping equipment.

As a fur parent, it is your responsibility to keep an eye on your pet’s nutrition because of its impact on your dog’s overall health, particularly its teeth. Regular trips to the dog dentist are essential for maintaining your dog’s oral health. If you want to learn more about your dog’s dental health, visiting the vet’s office is best.

It Can Injure the Intestines

Bone fragments aren’t just dangerous because they can cut your dog’s mouth and puncture its stomach and intestines. Bone pieces can sometimes be so large that they fully pierce the stomach’s or intestine’s protective lining, allowing stomach and intestinal contents to flow into the abdomen.

This results in peritonitis, an abdominal infection that can be fatal despite prompt medical attention.

It Can Cut the Mouth and Tongue

Bone fragments can have incredibly sharp edges when they break. Dogs can shatter bone into razor-sharp pieces that can easily pierce the soft part of the mouth, the cheeks, or the tongue. On the other hand, you should also watch what kind of treats you give to your dog. Most pet owners often choose milk bone treats for their pets.

However, it has ingredients like milk, beef, and wheat that some dogs may be allergic to and can cause a milk-bone allergy. These are some of the signs they might run into:

  • Ear inflammation and itching
  • Diarrhea
  • Rash
  • Vomiting

A quick visit to a vet who can help dog with allergies is needed if they begin showing any of the mentioned symptoms.

The Bottom Line

Raw bones are great if your dog has a strong desire to chew. Dogs can eat most raw bones that haven’t been cooked. Bones from chicken, turkey, lamb, or beef are tender enough to consume raw. All bones, however, carry the potential for choking if swallowed by your dog. That’s why it’s crucial to keep an eye on them whenever they’re chewing on a bone.